Sunday 17 January 2010

Your will is not your own.

So apparently people are annoyed [Apparently the exact post I linked to on this thread got deleted. Hah.] by the new feature of the Armoury. Words like "Private data" are being thrown around.

I'll keep this one short:

a) Blizzard owns every byte of data on "your" character. I say "your" in inverted commas because the character isn't actually yours at all: that's owned by Blizzard, too; you just rent it. That they then use that non-sensitive data on a section of their own website is not objectionable.

b) No one is going to look at it. Really. One person on that thread said this:
What I am suggesting is an option to restrict the recent activity feed to logged in guild mates, or even better, to be able to turn it off, so that I have the option whether to keep my privacy or show everyone what a miserable no life nerd I am.
Now, I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't used the armoury in ... a very long time. Certainly not since the Wowhead Profiler has existed. If you think, first off, that someone is actually going to look at your feed and then, secondly, take the time to tabulate and analyse your activity and come to some conclusion about you as a person, there are a few things to be said: 1) Get over yourself. 2) What you think other people do generally says more about yourself. 3) If anyone actually were to take the time to do this, they would be as sad as you are. In short: glass houses, and something about throwing stones.

The only person who will be looking at my feed is I, and within a week I'm sure even I will have forgotten it exists and will have gone back to using the Profiler for whatever I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment