Tuesday 9 February 2010

Gambler's Fallacy

I have made it my business not to be kicked from any guild I join, nor have a guild application refused, nor be involved or be a party to pointless, destructive arguments through any medium. My luck on all fronts however has changed and it is time to assess where I stand.

Much like the gambler coin-tossing away his savings, I can rationalise that this is a downturn that will improve, or I can cut my losses and get out before I go insane. Having never been one to subscribe to fallacies against statistics, and being quite fond of what little sanity I have, guess which option I'm taking.

(Note: At this point I just start rambling, so the TL;DR is "To keep a long story short ... The End.")

WoW loses one shadow priest with an ego doing nothing but crowding up server space. One slightly louder voice in ~7 million. There was a post I was going to make at the turn of the decade pointing out that Anathema is nothing special, in response in part to someone on Wowhead's forums saying that they "couldn't do what I do": all I do is write into an easy-to-read form what is readily available for anyone to find out if they have a spare 20 minutes; and where my character is concerned all I do is press buttons in a certain way. As with quite a few of the unfinished posts in my Dashboard, I started to write it but then lost my flow and didn't return to it. I could say to myself that people will notice the void left by my departure, but that'd be a lie.

Funnily enough, I knew there was a reason why I wasn't interested in WoW when it first came out, despite having been quite fond of WCII and WCIII. I think I need to get back into that mentality which takes a while to react to anything, instead of jumping on anything new and exciting. There's probably quite a lot to be said for taking everything slowly. It's more biological -- I won't necessarily say "natural", because "nature" within humans isn't the same as with any other animal given our self-awareness -- it adds a layer.

You might've figured out by now that I'm just rambling and not really wanting to press "publish" on something quite so short. Rambling is something I'm rather good at. One of my favourite things to do in the company of someone else is just to wind through long, tangential discussions -- no central point, just jumping opportunistically from one subject to another. I don't do it enough with the people with whom I'd get the most out of it -- I'm too comfortable with my default position of silence. (I know, right? For someone who types such long stuff you'd probably expect me to talk a lot. Not so. I don't necessarily prefer silence; my brain just shuts off when it feels it isn't needed, expected or wanted.) On Thursday I move into a house whose occupants are 5 people I've never met -- hopefully at least one of them will encourage me to ramble speakily, and perhaps even to get back into coining odd words like "speakily". My imagination has been rather stunted over the past few years; it's not a good thing to lose so easily -- it's one of the things we should long to hold on to from our childhoods for as long as we can; not necessarily out of any sense of staving off the inevitable, but just because it's enjoyable to imagine.

So ... yeah. Sorry if this is sudden, or whatever. You can all go back now to your respective comings-from with whatever opinion you like of me, of shadow priests, of maths, of "being emo" as I believe kids like to call it these days, of anything. Hopefully I won't be around to hear it.

8 comments:

  1. I'm disappointed. There's no way around that. I apologise for the part I played in this and I will miss our long talks about encounters and class mechanics.
    I did perhaps not take you getting kicked serious enough, but why you got kicked has nothing to do with you and everything to do with the people who you were playing with and I thought you were aware of this.

    I was really intrigued by our 2v2 endeavours as it is a really interesting combo.

    We will miss you, no matter what you tell yourself. Good luck in life though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm slightly annoyed by the way you decided to leave last night. Anyhow, we are going to miss your company in our weird adventures.

    If you decide that you would after all want to hear some of it, pop on to TS. And if you'd just like a chat about randomness pop on to TS. We had fun, didn't we. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We did have fun. You two I will actually miss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :(

    Find fun and make happiness wherever you go, whatever you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've not spoken to you before but your wowhead posts were quite straight forward and to a relatively new person to the game, it certainly helped. It was good to see it was a fellow Brit too :)

    Good luck in what you decide to do next and thanks for the help you gave.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gonna miss you, my new friend! Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kitty misses you where ever you are Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard you joined Inglorious gankers and was wondering if u could do some updates on the blog :)

    ReplyDelete