Thursday 31 December 2009

Happy New Year.

This is going to be one of those annoying posts about that place called "Real Life" I hear so much about. So, a warning, if you don't want to read such things, don't scroll down.

I'm always very cynical of the New Year celebration; I've always viewed it as a poor use of the Gregorian calendar as an excuse to get drunk -- it's a new year every day: every time the Earth reaches an arbitrary point along its orbit, it will have been just shy of 365.25 Earth Revolutions since it happened the last time. January the First isn't even notable in cosmological terms: it isn't a solstice, for instance.

Nevertheless, my life needs changing, thus, in-keeping with what I consider to be a less cynically inclined spirit of New Year, I've made some resolutions that I intend to stick to.

1. Play WoW less.
Oh, I know, you're all smirking that it's one of those resolutions or Lent sacrifices like "give up chocolate" -- it never happens, right? Fortunately I have a brand new shiny Xbox to keep me occupied. That sounds like I'm just switching one vice for another -- and, to an extent, there's some truth in that. It will, at the very least, get me into another room of the house. My bedroom, in which my computer resides, is up two flights of stairs, and feels like a bit of a crow's nest a lot of the time. Any excuse to push outwards from that and not feel bored or exposed would be very nice.

2. Fix my sleep pattern.
This is code for "Go to a doctor", which is a more general thing I need to do. You'll notice that quite a few of these blog posts go up either in the early hours of the morning (like this one), or even earlier than that: 2-4am, say. Rest assured, I am British. The reason why I might as well be on CET rather than GMT is that my sleep pattern has been messed up for the past two years or so, except on select days when the stars choose to align, or when I'm in a certain person's company. No matter what I try: Pulling all-nighters, taking courses of sleeping tablets ... nothing stops me from being awake until 4-6am whereupon I go to bed out of sheer exhaustion. It would be nice to go to bed for the sake of wanting sleep, rather than because my body quite literally can't keep itself awake any longer unless I push it into an all-nighter, with which it punishes me by stubbornly refusing to let me sleep until my usual time the following night (early-morning). This will help me with ...

3. Get a job.
I'm a graduate in a recession. Things have been bleak the past few months for graduates, with most jobs going to people who already have experience of the relevant workplaces. Having never worked in a "proper" environment, this puts me at a severe disadvantage to the legions of other out-of-work people. Fortunately, I do have unofficial, casual leads which I will follow up this very weekend, since I am going to ...

4. Be more open with those I love.
I finally had a long argument yesterday with someone with whom over the past couple of months I've been having a long, slow period of friction-building tension due to a lack of communication. She lives 400 miles away, in the city where I went to University -- Exeter -- whither I long to return as soon as possible. She is what I would call a "Very long-suffering friend", and we go through far too much strain and stress for one another. Fortunately this fued has been, mostly, resolved, and it only remains for me to hop on a train in three hours' time to go down there and celebrate the turn of the decade in her company.
Resolution 4 is already being put into action, since it is the reason for this post's creation: being open with whatever readership numbers I enjoy here. A lot of love goes into making Anathema understandable, easy to read, and overall as accessible as possible; same goes for Gone Blogal. So, to my silent readers, my vocal readers, and to my whole TWO! (2!) followers, I love you all: go out and enjoy the arbitrary starting point of 2010.

5 comments:

  1. Aww Sinespe has a sweet side. Enjoy your New Years Eve with your loved one and I hope your 2010 is a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And a very happy arbitrary calendrical division to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Benediction has to be in there somewhere. My particular version of the staff just happens to have a 30-day cooldown rather than 30-minute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. man, resolutions 1,2, and 3 should be mine too if I bought into those as well. #2 in particular. But then what would happen to the blogging I wonder? lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I put number one into effect myself as of yesterday. I cancelled my subscription and sold my account to a friend. Talk about going cold turkey...

    ReplyDelete